Click here to download a PDF or view the full job description below.
Position: Communications and Events Associate
Reports to: Executive Director
Based: Thornburg Foundation Office, 2300 Ridgetop Road, Santa Fe
The Thornburg Foundation is seeking applications from qualified candidates to join our team as a Communications and Events Associate. The Associate will be responsible for implementing the Foundation’s day-to-day communications activities in partnership with Foundation staff and a local communications agency. They will be involved in working with staff to identify communication needs and opportunities and will coordinate with the partner agency to develop final materials.
Candidates must demonstrate:
- Experience with social media management, website maintenance, creative and technical writing, and earned media; required
- Ability to coordinate with Foundation staff and external creative collaborators to ideate and develop communications materials; required
- Strong written and oral communication skills, as well as organizational and interpersonal skills; required
- 2+ years of executive, legislative, campaign, or related political or advocacy experience from within government, the non-profit sector, philanthropy, or other related industry; preferred
- Ability to review and analyze key data points and provide recommendations for continued maximization of media and outreach efforts; required
- Ability to plan, coordinate, and execute major and minor events; required
- Experience with managing event promotions and strategy in partnership with staff and external partners; required
- Ability to coordinate and conduct event planning meetings; required
- Undergraduate degree in communications, journalism, or related field; required
- Digital and print product layout and some graphic design experience; strongly preferred
- Ideate and develop communications materials in partnership with staff and creative collaborators
- Write or co-write blogs and newsletters in partnership with staff and creative collaborators
- Work with the Executive Director to review and approve all communications materials
- Participate in meetings to identify communications opportunities based on what the Foundation staff is working on or has coming up
- Develop and maintain event budgets and timelines
- Prepare event materials in partnership with staff and creative collaborators
- Provide day-of event coordination and support
- Communicate with venue contacts before and during an event to ensure event details are properly executed
- Establish meeting agendas, take minutes from critical meetings
- Coordinate scheduling of meetings for ongoing partnership groups
- Willingness to learn and ability to be flexible with changing priorities and responsibilities; preferred
- Applicant must pass a background check.
Compensation & Benefits:
Competitive salary (Range: $60-$70k), depending on experience; health care benefits; Paid Time Off; Sick Leave; and 401(k) plan.
Location: This position is based out of the Thornburg Foundation office in Santa Fe, NM. The position allows for hybrid work, but non-Santa Fe staff schedule 2 days per week in the office. The Foundation does not offer remote work options.
To Apply: No phone calls. Please submit a cover letter that specifically addresses how your expertise and background match the job description requirements, your resume, and contact information for three references (two must be former or current employers) by February 2, 2024. Email applications to [email protected] and include “Communications and Events Associate” in the subject line.
The Thornburg Foundation believes that diversity and inclusivity are vital to positive long-term success for our strategies and the foundation’s outcomes. We are proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applications receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status. The Foundation now reports to the board of directors on diversity and inclusivity and continually works to bring awareness to the importance of this issue.